South Belfast Volunteers

The main panel (shown below) is a tribute to soldiers in the Great War (1914-1918), with a border of poppies and silhouetted soldiers reflecting over helmets on crosses. To the side, however, is the modern UVF volunteer (shown above), with balaclava and assault rifle.
Click to enlarge (to 2000 x 1590)
Copyright © 2018 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f3.3, 1/320, ISO 80, full size 4620 x 3672
Click to enlarge (to 2100 x 1324)
Copyright © 2018 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f3.6, 1/100, ISO 80, full size 4416 x 2784

text: X06192

UVF Motor Car Corps

The first time that the horseless carriage was used in a military operation was the Ulster Volunteers’ “Larne Gunrunning” of April 1914. By this time, there are thought to have been 350 vehicles in the Corps (Angelsey). It’s not clear whether the cars were later used by the 36th (Ulster) Division – please comment/get in touch if you can shed light on this. (For Spencer’s quote on the left, see I am not an Ulsterman.) The plaque is to (modern) UVF volunteer ‘Squeak’ Seymour.
Click to enlarge (to 1800 x 1465)
Copyright © 2018 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f3.9, 1/200, ISO 80, full size 4512 x 3672
text: X06142 ravenscroft ave

Brothers In Arms

The 36th (Ulster) Division fought in the Battle Of Albert at the beginning of the Battle Of The Somme (July 1st-13th), and the 16th (Irish) in the battles of Guillemont and Ginchy in September (WP). The 10th (Irish) served at Gallipoli (and later in Greece and Palestine). The scene above, with soldiers from the 36th and 16th hand-in-hand, did not occur at “The Somme 1916”; it could perhaps have taken place at Messines in 1917 (see previously: Messines 1917).
Of the icons along the top, we see from left to right: Scrabo Tower; the green bar badge of the 10th (Irish) Division; the harp of the Connaught Rangers (battalions of which served in 10th and 16th Divisions); the emblem of the Black Watch – Royal Highlanders (the piping soldier right of centre wears a tartan patch of the Black Watch); the shamrock of the 16th (Irish) Division; the Maid Of Erin harp of the Royal Irish Rifles; Helen’s Tower/Thiepval Tower. It’s not clear why the Black Watch is included, as its battalions do not seem to have served with any of the 10th, 16th, or 36th and is a Scottish regiment rather than an Irish one. Please comment/get in touch if you can explain.
Click to enlarge (to 2400 x 1506)
Copyright © 2018 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f5.4, 1/320, ISO 80, full size 4896 x 3073
Click to enlarge (to 2400 x 1800)
Copyright © 2018 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f4.1, 1/500, ISO 80, full size 4896 x 3672
text: X06054 X06055 [X06056] dicksonia dr

North Down UVF

This mural at the bottom of Kilcooley estate in Bangor has recently been repainted, with the main alteration being the “North Down UVF” replaces “1st July 1916”, focusing attention on the locals from battalion that joined the 36th and away from the Somme. (See the previous mural in 1st July 1916.)
Click to enlarge (to full size)
Copyright © 2018 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f8, 1/125, ISO 400, full size 2736 x 2560
text: X06077 clandeboye rd

Messines 1917

Two panels commemorate the Battle Of Messines in 1917 and the role of nurses in attending to the wounded. This NIHE article says that the two nurses depicted are Annie Colhoun from London-/Derry and Margaret Dewar from Glasgow. “Margaret Dewar lost her life during the battle whilst Annie Colhoun survived and was decorated for her work during the war by the French, Serbians and British Governments.” (This presumably makes her the nurse in the right-hand panel.) An Army Nursing Service page says, however, that they were nurses at Monastir in Macedonia.
“Sub cruce candida” (“under a white cross”) is the motto of the Queen Alexandra’s Royal Army Nursing Corps, though at the time of WWI it was Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service. “VAD” stands for “voluntary aid detachment” of the British Red Cross.
The soldiers wear red hands or shamrocks on their arms. The red hand is for the 36th (Ulster) Division and the cap badge in the left panel is of the 36th. The shamrock is the symbol of the 16th (Irish) Division, and the right panel shows the cap badge of the Connaught Rangers whose battalions served in both the 10th (Irish) and 16th (Irish) Divisions in WWI. Both the 36th and 16th fought at Messines (WP).

Click to enlarge (to 1800 x 1776)

Copyright © 2018 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f5, 1/640, ISO 80, full size 3706 x 3635
Click to enlarge (to 2100 x 1992)
Copyright © 2018 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f, 1/, ISO , full size 3767 x 3573
Click to enlarge (to 1800 x 1362)
Copyright © 2018 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f4.2, 1/800, ISO 800, full size  4824 x 3649
text: X06067 X06066 X06065 abbot gdns

Our Heritage In Your Hands

The Ulster Tower at Thiepval, France, is a replica of Helen’s Tower in Clandeboye, around which the 36th (Ulster) Brigade, formed in August 1914 from the Ulster Volunteers and Young Citizen Volunteers, began their training (see this gallery of images from North Down Museum at BBC-NI). After a year of training in Ireland and England, the Division was deployed to France in September 1915.
In the top corners are two views of the local Scrabo Tower, which can be seen to the right in the wide shot, below. Produced by muraltec.
Click to enlarge (to 2200 x 1776)
Copyright © 2018 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f4.1, 1/250, ISO 80, full size 4356 x 3516

Click to enlarge (to 2400 x 1201)
Copyright © 2018 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f, 1/, ISO , full size 4896 x 2451
text: X06049 [X06050] X06051 [X06052] [X06053]

We Will Remember Them

Dozens of boards to local soldiers from the 36th (Ulster) Division (by the 2016 Committee) have been added to the Mount Vernon memorial garden to the soldiers of the Great War (the mural) and contemporary UVF volunteers (the garden). For the mural, memorial stones, and outside plaque, see At Home And On The Mainland.
Click to enlarge (to 2400 x 1800)
Copyright © 2018 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f3.9, 1/400, ISO 80, full size 4896 x 3672
text: X06016

Pride Of Ballymacash

The Pride Of Ballymacash flute band, formed in 2011 from the Pride Of Prince William (bottom left) and Ballymacash Young Conquerors (bottom right), uses the emblem of the 36th (Ulster) Division, in the centre of the mural. In the background on the left is the Thiepval Memorial and, on the right, the UDR memorial statue in Market Square, Lisburn. To the left (in the second image) is a UDA plaque “In memory of fallen comrades Ballymacash B coy D battaltion, South Belfast Brigade. Quis separabit.” For a close-up of the memorial on the ground, see Death & Life.
Click to enlarge (to 2200 x 1506)
Copyright © 2018 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f32, 1/80, ISO 320, full size 5208 x 3566
Click to enlarge (to 1305 x 2000)
Copyright © 2018 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f32, 1/60, ISO 160, full size 3664 x 5616
Click to enlarge (to 2400 x 1660)
Copyright © 2018 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f32, 1/30, ISO 100, full size 5412 x 3744
text: X04999 X06001 X04998

Who Went To War And Never Returned

It is usually the fourth verse from Laurence Binyon’s poem For The Fallen that is quoted on memorial stones to the fallen of the WWI but here we have the third verse: They went with songs to the battle, they were young/Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow/They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted/They fell with their faces to the foe. The stone commemorates “the men of the 36th (Ulster) Division who gave their lives for King and country at the Battle of the Somme 1st July – 18th November 1916”. It is in the garden adjacent to the West Kirk Presbyterian church (Fb) on the Shankill Road. As the image below shows, the garden is also host to many small boards to individual soldier (see previously Among The FallenXXXVI | The Sacrifice Remains The Same).
Click to enlarge (to 1888 x 1400)
Copyright © 2018 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f4.5, 1/2500, ISO 800, full size 3496 x 2592
Click to enlarge (to 2400 x 1800)
Copyright © 2018 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f4.4, 1/80, ISO 250, full size 4896 x 3672
text: X04938 X04747

They Fought And Died Like Men

Here are five more images of the WWI memorial mural (featured yesterday) in Drumahoe Gardens, Larne, including a plaque to Walter Brownlee and his brothers Edward and Harry, all of whom survived the war.
“There are lonely homes in Ulster/Some “light of life” has shed/There are many names of loved ones/Among the list of dead.//They fell for God and honour;/Why are ye lonely when/They answered soon as they were asked/And fought and died like men!”
Click to enlarge (to 1144 x 1600)
Copyright © 2018 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f8, 1/400, ISO 800, full size 2592 x 3624

Click to enlarge (to 1200 x 2160)
Copyright © 2018 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f8, 1/500, ISO 800, full size 2160 x 3888
Click to enlarge (to 1500 x 776)
Copyright © 2018 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f8, 1/1600, ISO 800, full size 3512 x 1816
Click to enlarge (to 2000 x 1176)
Copyright © 2018 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f8, 1/640, ISO 800, full size 3511 x 2064
  

Click to enlarge (to 1208 x 1600)
Copyright © 2018 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f8, 1/2000, ISO 800, full size 2592 x 3432

text: X04902 X04900 X04899 X04903 X04901