“Hill Street was originally called Pot-House Lane after pottery works located here in the late 17th century. By the 1790’s it was known as Foundry Lane, after Stewart Hadski’s iron foundry, the first of its kind in Belfast.” The original of the tin-glazed earthenware tankard shown can be seen in this lot from Christie’s (worth 10,000 pounds). The words “Queen Anne 1720” are inscribed on the tankard, a memorial to the queen who reigned from 1702-1714.
See previously: Old Foundary 1767
Here is some information about excavations in the area, and below is a brief video on the history of Hill St:
Click and click again to enlarge (to 2700 x 1800)
Copyright © 2014 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f8, 1/25, ISO 800, full size 3888 x 2592
text: X01972 belfast city council queen anne artist’s initials “KN”