“Derry” became “Londonderry” in 1613, but in 1689 at the time of the siege, as now, it was commonly referred to as “Derry”. The slogan of the defenders was “No Surrender” and the successful resistance to penetration gave rise to the epithet “The Maiden City” (WP).
Pictures of the unveiling of the plaque in 2009, which commemorates William Love, can be seen here.
Click and click again to enlarge (to 1500 x 1824)
Copyright © 2013 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f8, 1/200, ISO 400, full size 2514 x 3057
text: X00941 William Love 1908-1966 composer of flute band music was born near this spot; william attended cathedral school and worshipped in St. columb’s cathedral he played with the maiden city flute band churchill flute band and the hamilton flute band among his many compositions are senior service, stop in style, hale and hearty, cross and crown, and moore st. erected as a project of the maiden city festival aug. 2000