A detail from the mural above has been featured before on Extramural Activity but not the whole thing, for the reason that there are always cars parked in front of it – the mural is at the blind end of St. Vincent Street, next to Crusaders’ football ground. But finally we have captured it entire, automobile-free, in an extra-large (3854 pixels wide) image.
The mural features “North Belfast dockers, millworkers, shipyard workers. Titanic town 1912”. Along the bottom are the names of various Belfast pubs and other businesses: The Waterloo, The Terminus, The Sportsmans Arms, The White Hart, The Bowling Green, The City Arms, The Orpheus – York Street, Railway Bar – Canning Street [image from 1970], The Edinburgh Castle [the boat of the Union-Castle line, launched 1910, built at H&W?], York Street Mill, The Gibralter [sic] Bar [whose then-owner was killed in 1972], Ye Old Castle [a bar (and restaurant?) bombed in 1971], The White Lion. Please leave a comment if you can add any information about these place-names.
A close-up of the info plaque at the top right can be found in the previous post. The piece was painted by Jim Russell from Glasgow.
The Public Records Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI)’s collection of photographs of Belfast, 1912-1914 (some actually from 1911 and 1915) contains various shots of the area.
Previously: Titanic Town – South Belfast
Click and click again to enlarge (to full size)
Copyright © 2013 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f8, 1/400, ISO 100, full size 3854 x 1902
text: X01139 gibraltar