As part of the preparations for the centenary celebrations of the Ulster Volunteer Force, Fernhill House, in Glencairn Park to the west of the Ballygomartin Road, was refurbished. The house and park served as headquarters and training ground for the Ulster Volunteers. For images and video of the parade, which included people dressed in period costume, see the Tele. The name and insignia of the Volunteers – a red hand and the phrase ‘For God and Ulster’ – were re-used in the mid-nineteen-sixties, when the modern UVF was established.
A shot of the house in rough shape was featured on Extramural Activity last year.
Click and click again to enlarge (to 1875 x 1250)
Copyright © 2013 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f8, 1/125, ISO 400, full size 5616 x 3744