HMS Caroline’s connection to Belfast is that she served as the headquarters for the Royal Naval Reserve in Alexandra Dock. Originally built in 1914, she served in the Grand Fleet and took part in the battle of Jutland on May 31st, 2016, as shown in the images above and below. She was decommissioned in 2011; it is hoped to open her as a museum and visitor attraction by the time of the centenary of the battle (WP). The Daily Mail has a gallery of images of the ship in its current state. Also present at the battle of Jutland, as captain of HMS Nestor, was Commander (later Sir) Edward Bingham.
The piece is by Jim Russell, who also painted Titanic Town – North Belfast.
Here is a New Visions video on the ship:
Click and click again to enlarge (to 3000 x 2000)
Copyright © 2014 Extramural Activity
Camera Settings: f8, 1/250, ISO 400, full size 5616 x 3744